Bedroom styling tips to help you relax, and enjoy better sleep
When it comes to getting a good night's sleep, being comfortable, calm and relaxed is key. But there's more to crafting the perfect bedroom than a carefully chosen mattress and the right pillow!
While there's no set rules for what you should have in your sleep space, there are a few key things that you should think about to make sure yours feels right for you. Follow our guide to bedroom styling, and you'll be snuggling in to your very own cosy oasis in no time!
Start with the basics...
1. Start with soft, neutral coloured bedding. We spend a lot of time in bed, so investing in classic, comfortable sheets is one of the most important things we can do to ensure a good night's rest. With long natural fibres that are softer and more durable than cotton, linen is our choice for long-lasting, comfortable sheets. Exclusively available to purchase in store, our linen bedding range is available in white, natural and soft sky blue. These classic colours serve as the perfect neutral base layers for your bedroom, no matter the season. Don't forget you can always add your favourite seasonal colours and patterns in accessories later!
PEPPERWHITES TIP: When purchasing bedding, consider how you like to sleep. If you tend to feel the cold, perhaps a duvet and even a quilt or blanket on top might serve you well. If you tend to wake up hot, lighter layers like a flat sheet and a blanket, with no duvet might suit you better. There's no hard and fast rules here, as it's up to how you will be most comfortable. Plan ahead for what you need, and dress your bed accordingly.
2. Add cushions for style and comfort. Adding scatter cushions is one of the easiest ways to inject colour and your own personal style into the room. Our Everyday Linen cushions are our go-to for styling any bedroom. Made from soft European linen, they're available in 12 colours so you're sure to find one to suit your style. Use 60x60cm cushions in lieu of square European pillows - great for behind your back while reading in bed! Smaller sizes like 50x50cm, or 40x60cm are great for decorating, and should sit in front of your sleeping pillows to dress the bed. All of our classic everyday linen cushions are available to purchase filled, or you can buy a cover only to easily change your look with the seasons!
Everyday Linen Cushions available in 3 sizes - 40x60cm, 50x50cm, 60x60cm. Buy filled, or cover only.
For an extra special touch, one or two extra special statement cushions can really bring something special to your bedroom decorating, as well as adding a comfortable layer. We love the stunning prints in the Walter G cushion range which pair so well with our plain linens.
Designed in Western Australia by Barbara O'Donovan, these unique cushions are works of art - a beautiful statement for any bedroom.
Add warmth and softness
3. A bedroom rug will bring warmth and softness to your bedroom, and will make getting out of bed in the morning that much nicer (no more cold floor!). Until 24th August, save 20% on bedroom rugs in store and online. You can also read our guide to choosing the right size rug to help make sure you get the right size for your room.
4. A throw blanket or quilt at the end of your bed is the perfect extra layer for those chilly nights. Not only does it provide warmth and texture, but it will enhance your styling, making your room feel cosy and inviting. Read our guide to choosing the right size blanket for your bed.
5. Bedroom furniture is more than just the bed; and the right pieces can provide much needed storage, freeing up floor space and keeping the room tidy and calm. Whether you need drawers for clothes, or a bedside table, you can find beautiful pieces in our collection. Select pieces are on sale at great prices, while stocks last.
Add the finishing touches ...
5. Ambient Lighting is such an important element to incorporate into any design. In a bedroom, especially, turning off overhead lights and using soft lamp light instead will make your sleep space calm and relaxed. Choose a lamp in keeping with the scale of your bedside table, and provide enough light for you to read by.
6. Finally, once you have all your key elements in place, it's time to personalise your bedroom with accessories that reflect your personal style. You could choose to incorporate books you love, frames filled with photos of your loved ones, an artwork or two, your favourite scented candle, or even a trinket dish to hold your treasures. Whatever you choose to include, work with pieces that will bring you joy daily, making your bedroom and positive and relaxing place to be.